Material Donation Guidelines
What to Donate:
Because of the high cost of handling donated items, the Library is very selective in accepting donations. If you have books or other materials that you would like to donate to the Library, please observe the following guidelines:
- Items must be in “gift worthy” condition, free of odor, mold and infestation.
- The Library cannot accept the following:
-Non-fiction books more than 5 years old
How to Donate:
All donations must be arranged in advance. Do not drop anything off without calling first.
- Call 630-279-8696 and ask for the 2nd Floor Information Desk. The librarian will ask for a description of the material you would like to donate. If it meets the general guidelines, you will be given approval to bring the material to the Library.
- Drop off hours are Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. or Sat. 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Bring your donation in boxes or bags, which will not be returned.
- Ring the bell at the Receiving entrance (east of the outside book drops) and tell the operator that you have a donation. A staff member will come to meet you.
- Donations are considered outright and unrestricted. Elmhurst Public Library becomes the sole owner of donated materials with the right to dispose of materials that are not kept as the library sees fit. Unwanted items shall not be returned to the donor.
- Receipts are not given for donations.
Donate to other organizations:
“For all donations please call ahead.” 630-545-9710
To recycle damaged or older hard back books, they ask for a $5 donation per box.
Find drop-off centers:
Better World Books
For people in the military:
Books for Soldiers
Sell your books or determine their value:
eBay – Sell your books on eBay! The Elmhurst Public Library has information on eBay selling.
Alibris – Use Alibris to discover the value of your books
Check the Phone Book under “Book Dealers – Used & Rare” for places to buy or trade used books.
In Elmhurst, paperback books can be recycled at the curb. Hardbacks cannot be recycled unless the covers are removed. Books, magazines and newspapers should be placed in a paper bag or cardboard box on top or next to recycling bin – NOT co-mingled. No plastic bags may be used.
Download the Material Donation Guidelines as a printable PDF brochure