The Library of Extraordinary Things collection includes a list of Makery-related and inspired equipment. Items are available for check out.
Frequently Asked Questions
When did the Makery open?
The Makery opened June 2017.
What are the Makery’s hours?
Sunday: 1-4:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 12-8:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 12-5:00 p.m.
Thursday: 12-8:30 p.m.
Friday: 12-8:30 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Can I reserve equipment in the Makery?
Yes! Reservations are recommended for personal projects. The Makery is not available for group reservations or group projects. Visit the reservations page for more information about Makery Reservations. Walk-ins are welcome based on equipment availability.
Can I bring a family member or guest to the Makery?
Cardholders can bring guest(s) and family member(s) to the Makery for personal projects. However, the Makery is not available for group projects or reservations. Unconfirmed groups may be asked to leave. Visit the reservations page for more information.
Who can use the Makery?
EPL cardholders, students who attend Elmhurst schools, teachers who teach at Elmhurst schools, Work Perks and Business cardholders are welcome to use the space.
Adult supervision required for anyone below middle school age.
The Makery is not available as a meeting space. Scout Visits and Library Tours are currently suspended until further notice. Groups will be asked to leave.
What does the Makery cost?
The Makery is free to use. There are costs for materials used to produce items on some equipment:
- 3D Printer: 10¢/gram ($1 minimum)
- Button Maker
- Small: 25¢/button
- Medium: 50¢/button
- Large: 50¢/button
- Laser Printer Transfer Paper: $1/sheet
- Laminator: $0.50/foot
- Mayku FormBox: $1.00/sheet for Cast or Form
- Poster Printer: 50¢/linear inch
- Sublimatio Printer includes cost of printing + paper:
- 3.5″ x 9.25″ Mug sheets are $0.25/sheet
- 8.5″ x 11″ Letter size are $1.00/sheet
- 8.5″ x 14″ Legal size are $1.50/sheet
- 11″ x 17″ Tabloid size are $2.00/sheet
- 8.5″ x 11″ Siser EasySubli HTV is $3.00/sheet (includes cost of EasySubli Mask and Letter size paper)
- Laminate 50¢/foot
- Sticker 50¢/foot
- Magnet $2.50/foot
Cash or check payments are accepted.
Can I get help with my project?
Patrons are responsible for preparing their designs and project. Due to social distancing, staff are unable to provide technology help, design help, or equipment demonstrations. Staff are available to troubleshoot and answer questions while maintaining a 6 ft distance. Only the laser cutter, 3D printers, and poster printer are staff-operated.Tutorials and learning resources can be found in the User Guides and on our YouTube channel.
How can I learn to use Makery equipment?
- Resources can be found in the Learn section of the User Guides
- View demonstration videos on our YouTube channel
- We offer classes about Makery equipment and software
- Check out Creativebug (Unlimited access with your EPL card to 1,000+ online classes in painting, knitting, crafting, sewing, cake decorating, and more)
- Use LinkedIn Learning to learn software, technology, creative, and business skills to achieve personal and professional goals through online video tutorials and trainings on demand. Lynda.com is now LinkedIn Learning. For more details visit: LinkedIn Learning for Library – Patron FAQ Apps available for iOS and Android devices.
- App Access: Click Sign in and then click “Sign in with your library card” then enter the library ID: elmhurstpubliclibrary click continue then enter your EPL library card number and PIN.
What materials do I need to bring?
The materials you need depends on the equipment and your project. The User Guides provide details about materials. The Makery has some materials to purchase. (see “What does the Makery cost?” above)
I have a question about the Makery. How can I contact you?
Use this form to contact us: