Biography & Genealogy
- Biography in Context Comprehensive database of biographical information on more than 500,000 people from throughout history, around the world, and across all disciplines and subject areas. It combines biographies from sources such as Contemporary Authors, Encyclopedia of World Biography, and Newsmakers, with full-text articles from nearly 300 periodicals.
- Biography Reference Books Search a collection of more than 50 biography reference ebooks.
- Dictionary of Literary Biography Provides complete, full-text access to the Dictionary of Literary Biography (vols. 1-348).
- Something About the Author Complete online access to the print series.
- Ancestry Library Edition (normally In Library Use only, but available remotely through June 30.)
A genealogy research tool created for the library market. It provides patrons with instant access to a wide range of unique resources for genealogical and historical research. With more than 1.5 billion names in over 4,000 databases, Ancestry Library Edition includes records from the United States Census; military records; court, land and probate records; vital and church records; directories; passenger lists and more! These collections are continuously expanding, with new content added every business day.
- Fold3 This genealogical research site features US military records including original historical documents, newspapers, images, city directories, naturalization documents, personal histories, and more from the National Archives and other institutions.
- HeritageQuest This collection assembles genealogies, local histories, primary source materials, and genealogical and local history serials. An ongoing project, Genealogy & Local History Online will grow to encompass materials from all 50 states including over 7 million pages. From UMI.
Local Historic Newspapers
- Chicago Tribune Historical Archive The full-text of the Chicago Tribune from 1849-1997, includes front pages, time lines, this day in history, obituary searching. It offers full page and article images with searchable full text back to the first issue. The collection includes digital reproductions providing access to every page from every available issue.
- Elmhurst Local History/Newspaper Index This is an index of several local Elmhurst, IL newspapers. With this tool you can find a citation for a specific newspaper article. The following newspapers are covered: Elmhurst Doings (March 2001-12/23/2010), Elmhurst Independent (September 2001-September 21, 2017), Elmhurst Press (June 1985-2013), Elmhurst Suburban Life (Oct 2013-September 22, 2017), Suburban Life (March 1997-September 2000).
- Local History Files This is an index of PDF files of clippings collected over the years by Elmhurst Public Library staff. As such, authors and publishing dates may be unavailable.
- Online Illinois Death Records & Indexes
- National Archives “The National Archives offers insight into the lives of people, their families and our history. Because the records at the National Archives come from every branch of the Federal government, almost all Americans can find themselves, their ancestors, or their community in the archives. Knowing how a person interacted with the government is key to a successful search.”
- USGenWebProject “A group of volunteers working together to provide free genealogy websites for genealogical research in every county and every state of the United States. This Project is non-commercial and fully committed to free genealogy access for everyone.”
- Cyndi’s List of Genealogy Sites on the Internet A starting point for online genealogy searching.
Places to Visit