Update: Walk–ins now accepted!
The Library building is open and operates under a grab–and–go service model that promotes social distancing and limits capacity to 60 visitors per hour. We are happy to welcome back our patrons and provide direct access to the collections. Walk-ins are now accepted. However, to guarantee your entry you may continue to use our reservation system. Masks are required for the duration of your stay.
- Due to reservation system limitations, online reservations must be made up to 3 hours in advance. Please call (630) 279-8696 to make a reservation if you missed the 3 hour window.
- Reservations can be made up to one week in advance. Limit one visit per day.
- Be sure to include each person in your group if reserving an entry.
- Visits are limited to one hour and are for browsing the collection and checkouts.
- Children under the age of 7 must be accompanied by an adult or child over the age of 12.
Things that are not available:
- Cafe service
- Creative Studios. Coming Soon!
- Exchange of money (for fines, printouts, or copies). Please bring a credit card.
- Extended stays. If you need to stay longer than one hour, please consider coming in from 7-9 p.m., our least crowded time.
- In-person events (check elmlib.org/athome for more information programs)
- In-person Technology Help (get help online at elmlib.org/videochat)
- Meeting and Study Rooms (visit elmlib.org/videochat for information about virtual options)
- Newspapers (print) are available after 11 a.m. each day (visit elmlib.org/enewspapers for eNewspapers and elmlib.org/magazines for eMagazines)
Interested in visiting the Makery?
Schedule your visit. Drop-in visits to the Makery are not possible at this time due to capacity limits. As an alternative, consider bringing the Makery home with you with our new Makery-inspired Library of Extraordinary Things collection!
For more information regarding changes at the Library, as well as access to remote collections and services, see the Library’s COVID-19 updates.