FREE Career Counseling – Calendar
Typically every other Monday morning. Five 30 Minute Sessions from 9:30 a.m. – Noon • 2nd Floor Study Rooms
Stand out from the crowd! Meet with a career counselor from JVS Chicago, a non-profit, non-sectarian agency, for free, one-on-one career counseling. For reservations, Elmhurst Library cardholders can email Joyce Bogolub at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your 30 minute session.
Computer Classes – Calendar
Build your computer skills and become more competitive in the job market. Click for class descriptions.
People to Help You
Librarians and Technology Assistants on the 2nd floor can provide one on one guidance to get you started using our many resources. We can introduce to you to sources that can help you generate ideas and leads. We can also help you one-on-one with computer questions. This is not the same as taking a class (listed above) but if you get stuck when you are trying to attach your resume to an email we can help.
- Optimal Resume Create resumes, write cover letters, assess your skills, practice interviewing, and create a website with your resume and portfolio. Brief tutorial.
- Career Center from Tutor.com Career Center and tutoring available from 10 a.m.-Midnight everyday.(demo)
- Business Insights: Global Detailed company and industry profiles including SWOT reports, market share reports, and financial reports. Thousands of company histories and industry essays from Gale’s core business collection. Case studies, scholarly journals, and business news for deep research coverage of global economies.
- Lynda.com lynda.com helps anyone learn software, technology, creative, and business skills to achieve their personal and professional goals. Watch quick intro to Lynda andhow to use Lynda.
- Mergent Intellect, powered by Hoovers, delivers comprehensive company, industry, and market intelligence. Our database of 12 million companies, with in-depth coverage of 40,000 of the world’s top business enterprises, is at the core of our business tools and services that customers find vital to their business operations. Hoover’s editorial staff of some 80 editors and researchers brings vital business information and knowledge to its coverage, updating the site daily to bring our visitors and subscribers the most up-to-date business information in the industry.
- Proquest Newsstand Access to full-text of more than 800 U.S. and international newspapers, including Chicago Tribune, Daily Herald, Christian Science Monitor, Crain’s Chicago Business, Los Angeles Times, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and The Times (London).
- ReferenceUSA Find information on 11 million US businesses. Search using a number of criteria including geography, size, SIC codes, ticker symbol and more. Provides directory information including contact, owner, major industry information and more. Need help? Need help? Try these training guides.
Local Job Listings
Job Search Engines
Job listings are pulled from job boards, company websites, newspapers, industry associations, online classifieds and more.
National Job Listings
The first three sites are the well-known national job boards that include listings from companies and organizations all over the country and the world. They also include advice for job hunters.
Planning Your Job Search
These meta sites are a great place to start your job search. They contain links for everything from specialized job listings to salary surveys to resume advice. The experts who maintain these meta sites review and screen all the sites they include to insure that users are getting quality information.
- Riley Guide A great place to start your job search! This site is very comprehensive.
The A-Z Index is very helpful for finding specific websites.
- Job-hunt.org A well-organized site that includes many articles to advise job hunters.
- Jobhuntersbible.com Site of What Color is Your Parachute? author Richard Nelson Bolles.
Action Verbs and Keywords for Your Resume
- WorkNet DuPage – This Career Center in Lisle has job search workshops, career counseling, job fairs, and job clubs. See the ABC-Channel 7 news report here.
- Career Services at the College of DuPage – The Career Services Center offers career resources and opportunities for students, alumni and residents of Community College District 502.
- At the library (see “FREE Career Counseling” above.)
Job Central behind the 2nd Floor Information Desk
Here you will find the job listings from local newspapers, and a list of magazines in our collection that also include job listings. In addition, there are books, videos, and articles on job search topics, and information on other local resources.
The library has a number of company and employment directories. Several of these, such as the Directory of Executive Recruiters and the Illinois Manufacturers Directory, are located at the 2nd Floor Information Desk.
Circulating books are located in the following areas:
- General Job Searching – 650.14
- Resumes – 650.142
- Job Interviews – 650.144
- Careers / Occupations – 331.702