R&R – Jobs & Employment
skip to: Library Resources • Local Job Listings • National Job Listings • Planning Your Job Search
Technology Classes – Calendar
Build your computer skills and become more competitive in the job market. Click for class descriptions.
People to Help You
Librarians and Technology Specialists on the 2nd floor can provide one on one guidance to get you started using our many resources. We can introduce to you to sources that can help you generate ideas and leads. We can also help you one-on-one with computer questions. This is not the same as taking a class (listed above) but if you get stuck when you are trying to attach your resume to an email we can help.
- Optimal Resume (note: Due to low usage the Library is not renewing its subscription to this tool. Access will be discontinued on December 16. Please download any files you need to save prior to this date.) Create resumes, write cover letters, assess your skills, practice interviewing, and create a website with your resume and portfolio. Brief tutorial.
- Career Center from Tutor.com Career Center and tutoring available from 10 a.m.-Midnight everyday.(Overview)
- Business Insights: Global Detailed company and industry profiles including SWOT reports, market share reports, and financial reports. Thousands of company histories and industry essays from Gale’s core business collection. Case studies, scholarly journals, and business news for deep research coverage of global economies.
- Lynda.com helps anyone learn software, technology, creative, and business skills to achieve their personal and professional goals. App Access: EPL cardholders can access Lynda using the free Lynda app (as well as through a browser using the web link above.) In order to authenticate the app, patrons will choose to log in as an organization (not “individual”) and then fill in the Library’s domain (elmhurstpubliclibrary.org) under “Web Portal”. They will then be asked for their barcode number and pin.
- Mergent Intellect, powered by Hoovers, delivers comprehensive company, industry, and market intelligence. Our database of 12 million companies, with in-depth coverage of 40,000 of the world’s top business enterprises, is at the core of our business tools and services that customers find vital to their business operations. Hoover’s editorial staff of some 80 editors and researchers brings vital business information and knowledge to its coverage, updating the site daily to bring our visitors and subscribers the most up-to-date business information in the industry.
- Proquest Newsstand Access to full-text of more than 800 U.S. and international newspapers, including Chicago Tribune, Daily Herald, Christian Science Monitor, Crain’s Chicago Business, Los Angeles Times, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and The Times (London).
- ReferenceUSA Find information on 11 million US businesses. Search using a number of criteria including geography, size, SIC codes, ticker symbol and more. Provides directory information including contact, owner, major industry information and more. Need help? Try these training guides.
Local Job Listings
Job Search Engines
Job listings are pulled from job boards, company websites, newspapers, industry associations, online classifieds and more.
National Job Listings
These sites are the well-known national job boards that include listings from companies and organizations all over the country and the world. They also include advice for job hunters.
Planning Your Job Search
These meta sites are a great place to start your job search. They contain links for everything from specialized job listings to salary surveys to resume advice. The experts who maintain these meta sites review and screen all the sites they include to insure that users are getting quality information.
- Job-hunt.org A well-organized site that includes many articles to advise job hunters.
- Jobhuntersbible.com Site of What Color is Your Parachute? author Richard Nelson Bolles.
Action Verbs and Keywords for Your Resume
- WorkNet DuPage – This Career Center in Lisle has job search workshops, career counseling, job fairs, and job clubs.
- Career Services at the College of DuPage – The Career Services Center offers career resources and opportunities for students, alumni and residents of Community College District 502.
- At the library (see “Career Center at Tutor.com” in the “Library Resources section above.)
The library has a number of company and employment directories. Several of these, such as the Directory of Executive Recruiters and the Illinois Manufacturers Directory, are located at the 2nd Floor Information Desk.
Circulating books are located in the following areas:
- General Job Searching – 650.14
- Resumes – 650.142
- Job Interviews – 650.144
- Careers / Occupations – 331.702