Friends of the Elmhurst Public Library
Poetry Contest Rules and General Information
Entries will be accepted from February 1 to March 19.
Students in grades 4 through 12, who are Elmhurst residents or attend a school located in Elmhurst may enter.
Contest rules and requirements
- Entries may be submitted online.
- For hard-copy submissions:
- Poems must be typed on white paper in black ink with no art work.
- Students must submit poems attached to a completed entry blank. Names must be written only on the back of the poem as well as on the entry blank.
- Entries may be mailed to Elmhurst Public Library or delivered to the Library’s Welcome Desk.
- All poems must be the student’s original work.
- A student may submit only one entry.
- Entries will not be returned. Each entrant should keep a copy.
- Entrants grant to the Friends of the Elmhurst Public Library the right to copy and publish the submission.
- Awards will be presented in each of several age groups.
- The winner in each age group receives a $50 City Centre gift certificate.
- The second place winner in each age group receives a $25 City Centre gift certificate.
- Students who receive honorable mentions receive a $10 City Centre gift certificate.
- Winners’ names will be on display at the Library.
- First and second place winners and students receiving honorable mentions will be asked to read their works in a program at the Library on April 28 for later broadcast on local cable TV. These students should bring a copy of their poem to read at the program.
All entries must be received by mail, in person at the Library’s Welcome Desk, or submitted online by 5 p.m. on March 19, 2017.